On this day The Beatles’ 96th evening show at the Cavern Club took place. It was billed as The Blue Genes Guest Night; The Beatles were second on the bill, and also appearing were Birmingham act Gerry Levene and the Avengers.
This was The Blue Genes’ final Liverpool appearance as a jazz group. Like so many Liverpool groups they were due to perform in Hamburg, and returned as fully-fledged rockers.
Overall this was The Beatles’ 223rd appearance at the underground Mathew Street venue, including their lunchtime shows. The show was rearranged earlier in August so The Beatles could perform in Morecambe on the 29th; it was unusual for them to play at the Cavern on Tuesday nights.
Also on this day...
- 2010: John Lennon’s toilet sells for ￡9,500
- 1969: George and Pattie Harrison travel to the Isle of Wight to see Bob Dylan
- 1969: Apple holds a launch party for Radha Krsna Temple
- 1969: Mary McCartney is born
- 1968: Recording: Dear Prudence
- 1966: Live: Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles
- 1965: Live: Balboa Stadium, San Diego
- 1964: Bob Dylan turns The Beatles on to cannabis
- 1964: Live: Forest Hills Tennis Stadium, New York
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Southport
- 1963: Television: The Mersey Sound
- 1961: Live: Cavern Club, Liverpool (lunchtime)
- 1960: Live: Indra Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.